Wealthy people inherently think differently from poor people.
You certainly can’t just think yourself wealthy. You have to take action. But if you’re working hard to make and grow your money and you still aren’t as wealthy as you’d like to be, it just might be your mindset.
How Do Wealthy People Think Differently?
I recently read “Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth.” The author, T. Harv Eker, has a fundamental belief that wealthy people think very differently than poor people. This might seem obvious at the surface level, but it goes much deeper than that. Eker believes that each one of us develops a unique “money and success blueprint” over time. This blueprint is the result of mass marketing, parental influence, education and all sorts of other factors.
This blueprint for each of us predicts our financial success, or possibly our failure.
I think the psychology at play here is a bit like golf (or any sport for that matter.) You must pre-visualize yourself winning in order to actually win! Before you hit your shot, you need to see it going into the hole. And when you take your swing, you believe that you will make solid contact and send the ball exactly where you plan that it will land.
Likewise, if you want to get rich, you have to change your current money blueprint and set it to the highest level of success. You have to see yourself as wealthy, even before you really are.
17 Ways (According to Eker) Wealthy People Think Differently Than Poor People:
1. Wealthy people believe, “I create my life.” Poor people believe, “Life happens to me.”
2. Wealthy people play the money game to win. Poor people play the money game to not lose.
3. Wealthy people are committed to being rich. Poor people want to be rich.
4. Wealthy people think big. Poor people think small.
5. Wealthy people focus on opportunities. Poor people focus on obstacles.
6. Wealthy people admire other rich and successful people. Poor people resent rich and successful people.
7. Wealthy people associate with positive, successful people. Poor people associate with negative or unsuccessful people.
8. Wealthy people are willing to promote themselves and their value. Poor people think negatively about selling and promotion.
9. Wealthy people are bigger than their problems. Poor people are smaller than their problems.
10. Wealthy people are excellent receivers. Poor people are poor receivers.
11. Wealthy people choose to get paid based on results. Poor people choose to get paid based on time.
12. Wealthy people think “both.” Poor people think “either/or.”
13. Wealthy people focus on their net worth. Poor people focus on their working income.
14. Wealthy people manage their money well. Poor people mismanage their money well.
15. Wealthy people have their money work hard for them. Poor people work hard for their money.
16. Wealthy people act in spite of fear. Poor people let fear stop them.
17. Wealthy people constantly learn and grow. Poor people think they already know.
How Can You Switch Your Mindset Now?
Do any of these ring true for you? If you believe that any of the above mindsets are holding you back, you can start to change your blueprint now.
For example, let’s look at #13 – 15. You can easily turn this around. Instead of thinking about how you need to “work harder” this year to make more money, start thinking about how you are going organize your finances, save money in taxes, and invest. Then…do it!