You certainly can't just think yourself wealthy. You have to take action. But if you're working hard to make and grow your money and you still aren't as wealthy as you'd like to be, it just might be your mindset.
How Do Wealthy People Think Differently?
I recently read Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth. The author, T. Harv Eker, has a fundamental belief that rich vs poor people think very differently than poor people.
I think the psychology at play here is a bit like golf (or any sport for that matter.) You must pre-visualize yourself winning in order to actually win! Before you hit your shot, you need to see it going into the hole.
Ways Wealthy People Think Differently Than Poor People
1. Wealthy people believe, “I create my life.” Poor people believe, “Life happens to me.”
2. Wealthy people play the money game to win. Poor people play the money game to not lose.
3. Wealthy people are committed to being rich. Poor people want to be rich.
4. Wealthy people think big. Poor people think small.
5. Wealthy people focus on opportunities. Poor people focus on obstacles.
Outstanding debt: how much debt you currently have also affects the amount that lenders will be willing to lend you. If you have mountains of debt already, it might be hard to get a loan without stipulations.